Trash Removal & Recycling:
The City of Rockville provides once-per-week curbside recycling, trash, and yard waste collections for single-family homes and townhouses in the community.
Apartments and condominiums are not serviced by the City of Rockville. For condominium/apartment trash and recycling questions, please contact the appropriate property manager for your condominium or apartment.
Please Note: Trash and recycling billing is automatically added to the resident’s Montgomery County property tax bill.
TRASH DAY: Regular refuse and recycling are collected on Thursdays.
If your recycling, trash, or yard waste was not collected, you can report a missed collection online or by calling 240-314-8568.
There are a number of reasons why your recycling, trash, or yard waste may have been missed:
- Special Holiday: During holiday weeks, the collection could be delayed by one day depending on your pickup day.
- Check the holiday collection schedule at www.rockvillemd.gov/301/HolidaySchedule.
- Please Note: In the event that a city holiday falls on Monday through Thursday, your collection from that week will be on Friday.
- Unaccepted Items: If items are in the recycling or trash carts that are not accepted by the City the waste will not be collected.
- Cart exceeded the limit: The maximum allowable weight is 165 pounds and the lid must be able to close.
Back Door Collections:
Residents who are either temporarily or permanently unable to move their carts to the curb can apply for back door service.
*Residents must re-apply for this service each year.
Request or Exchange a Cart:
The City of Rockville provides residents with carts, which are available in four sizes. Residents with city provided carts are responsible for
their maintenance and care. Carts must be returned when you move out.
*To return a cart, call 240-314-8568.
Tips on Waste Collection:
- Place brown recycling and gray refuse carts at the curb or alleyway the night before collection.
- but NO later than 6:00 AM on collection day & removed within 24-hours.
- Trash Containers MUST be stored in garages or inside the backyard area between collections.
- Make sure your cart is not blocking mailboxes, lids are closed, and wheels are to the curb.
- Do not overflow refuse carts.
- Plastic bags go into the gray trash cart.
- Plastic bags can be recycled in nearby grocery stores.
- Recycling is placed in the brown carts.
- Do not put recyclable materials in the refuse cart.
Branches and Yard Waste:
After you have performed any landscaping clean-up or general lot maintenance and you have yard waste to dispose of, please follow the guidelines
below for disposal. Rockville provides weekly yard waste collections (on collection day). Trees and other brush larger than 8′ long and 2′ in diameter
must be scheduled.
- Place yard waste in biodegradable paper lawn bags or 32-gallon trash cans (weight must be less than 50 pounds).
- Do NOT use any plastic bags.
- Yard waste is collected at the curb only (not alleyways)
- Place in an unobstructed area by 6:00 AM.
- Branches should be placed in a pile on the ground.
- Do NOT dump any yard waste or leaves in storm drains.
- Place pest-infested yard waste and invasive plant species in the trash cart.
- Bulk refuse is collected by appointment only.
- Please call 240-314-8568 to schedule an appointment. They will let you know your pick up date.
- Bulk Refuse Items may include: metal, household hazardous waste, electronics, furniture, debris, etc.
* Large trees and piles of branches may require special equipment and require a special collections appointment.
* Large, storm-related debris will be collected by the city but may take several weeks for crews to collect throughout the city.
Report a Yard Waste Collection Concern:
Complete the online form to report a missed collection or any other concerns regarding branches and yard waste.