Leasing Single-Family Homes, Townhomes or Condo Units in King Farm:

Owners may lease their homes subject to the provisions of Article III, Section 3-106 of the King Farm Community Charter. If you decide to do so, please contact the Management Office to get the most recent information as to leasing requirements.

Owners are responsible for the actions or omissions of their tenants:

Including actions that cause damage to the common areas, Living Unit, or are a violation of the Bylaws/rules and regulations of the Association. For your own protection, as well as your lessee’s, you should take steps to assure that tenants are aware of and agree to comply with the rules and regulations.

AIRBNB rentals (and all other vacation rental platforms) are NOT permitted within King Farm.

AirBnB and all other vacation rentals are only permitted providing that the property listing is for 6 months or longer, an executed lease agreement is provided to management, and tenant information is provided.

In summary:

  1. No unit within King Farm may be rented without a lease.
  1. The lease may not be for less than six (6) months, and a true and executed copy of the lease must be filed with the Management Office.
  1. Copy of a current City of Rockville License Certificate must be provided to the Management Office within 14 days of issuing key fobs to tenants.
    • If a certificate is not provided within those 14 days, key fobs will be suspended.
  1. Each lease must contain in its body or in an addendum an indication that the Living Unit is part of the Assembly, the Conservancy, and, if applicable, a Condominium Association.
  1. The leasing agreement must state that the Living Unit is subject to the governing documents and rules and regulations of all applicable Associations.
  1. In order to access our amenities, the tenant will have to fill out the KEY FOB Application Form and have it signed by the owner.
    • Key Fobs will be issued to EITHER THE OWNER OR TENANT, NOT BOTH.
    • There is a fee for key fobs replacement. We recommend that you include key fob information in your lease.

Rental Property Licenses:

Montgomery County Code Chapter 29 requires that all residential and multifamily property owners obtain a rental housing license before their property may be rented or advertised for rent.

  • Homeowners must notify the Licensing and Registration office when they no longer rent the property or if they sell the property.
  • Homeowners who live outside of Maryland (or who use a P.O. Box) must designate a Legal Agent who lives in Maryland for service of process.
  • Homeowners cannot obtain a rental license if they are more than 30 days past due on HOA/Condominium association fees.

Are there penalties for renting without a License?

  • Any person who operates a rental property without obtaining a License is subject to a class A violation and may have to pay $500 civil fines as a penalty.
  • Report unlicensed rental property

How do I obtain a rental property license?

Applying online is the fastest and easiest way to obtain a rental license. Click here to complete the Online Rental License Application.

  • If you are unable to apply online, print a hardcopy of the Rental License Application.
  • Complete all application information, attach required supporting documents and include a check or money order with the rental license fee and mail to: DHCA Licensing & Registration, 1401 Rockville Pike, 4th Floor, Rockville, MD, 20850.