What is a property plat?
A plat map, also known as a “plat”, “property plat”, or “house location plan or survey”, is used to show how a tract of surveyed land is divided into lots within a county or municipality. The plat map is drawn to scale and records the land size, boundary locations, nearby streets, and any easements or rights of way. When you purchase a home or property, you will receive a plat map.
Why do I need a plat map?
It is important to locate your property plat because it contains the property divisions to consult when selling or transferring ownership of a property. In addition, it can be useful if there are any questions regarding access to city sewer and water supplies and to double-check other land documents for accuracy. Lastly, if you have a home improvement project or simply need to know where your property line and easements are, you need a plat map. If you decide to make any non-routine exterior changes to your lot, you will need to include a copy of your plat when you submit a design review application (DRA) to the Architectural Design Trust (ADT) committee.
If I cannot locate my plat, how can I obtain another copy?
If you are unsure of where your property plat is, double-check your settlement documents first. Most homeowners received a copy of their property plat when they went to settlement on their home. If you still cannot locate your plat, there are a few ways you can obtain another copy.
- Contact the surveyor/land planner for your individual lot.
- Many of the lots in the community were surveyed by Soltesz.
- Hire a Surveyor to provide a new land survey for you.
- The Maryland Society of Surveyors is a great resource to vet a licensed surveyor in our area. https://www.marylandsurveyor.org/search/custom.asp?id=2355
- Contact the Land Records Department, County Clerk’s Office, Rockville
- Copies of subdivision record plats can be purchased at the M-NCPPC headquarters building (map and directions).
- Info Counter, Montgomery County Planning Department, Silver Spring
- *If you are looking for a land survey that includes your house in the survey please inquire with the Department of Permitting Services about a house location survey for the property. They may have one on file.
Sample Individual House Property Plat
Sample of a subdivision – block property plat. This is NOT an acceptable plat to submit with a design review application.