Guidelines for Changes or Repairs to Decks, Porches, Patios and Stairs:
Please use these guidelines for replacing or repairing one of these items on your property. Any time you alter or change the existing condition in any way, it requires a design review application. Provided that you make these changes for repair or maintenance, then a DRA is not required.
Deck, Porch and Exterior Stair Repairs and Replacements:
If you are repairing or replacing and select materials from the following pre-approved lists, a design review application is not required.
Porches, Rear Yard Decks, and Patios:
Forms and Types:
Outdoor patios (with exception of Multi-Family Residence) are permitted in rear and side yards only and must be screened to a height of 5’-6” when visible from a street.
- Permitted patio finish materials include: natural stone, brick, stone pavers, concrete pavers and natural concrete.
- Patio materials are to be neutral in color or natural earth tones, brown, or grey.
- Brick paver colors are to match or complement the masonry found at the house.
A minimum of 10% pervious yard/lot area shall be maintained with the installation of patio.
- Detached Yard:
No specific practice for coverage. The Committee encourages homeowners to maintain a significant portion of the yard as green or vegetated area.
- Patios/pavers are recommended to be set on a bed appropriate for finish surface overlayment.
- Stormwater flow:
Patios shall be properly installed and graded such that they do not change the existing flow of stormwater to, through, and from the yard.
- All private driveways, walkways, patios and off-street parking areas shall be drained as to prevent damage in abutting properties or public rights of way and shall be constructed of materials which have a surface resistant to erosion and shall be maintained in good repair.
- Moisture Control – Water Managed Foundations:
Patio slabs, walks, and driveways shall be sloped ¼” per foot away from the house.
Deck and Patio Installation:
The Community Architect has developed documents to assist Homeowners in the design and placement of decks in rear yards. The documents are intended to offer guidance; final location and design approval shall be obtained from the Community Architect.
Decks shall be located in rear yards only.
The footprint in square feet of decks (in single-family detached houses) not permitted to exceed 1/5 the footprint in sq. ft. of the house.
Decks shall be built of wood materials.
Decks shall be no higher than 10′ – 0″ above grade.
Painting of Surfaces Visible From Streets and Alleys:
Rails, rail caps, guard rails and deck bands shall be painted “King Farm White”.
Undercroft of decks visible from streets shall be screen by lattice or other screening (subject to review).
Decks on Corner Lots:
Decks located on houses on corner lots (where deck is visible from the street) shall have a lattice screen or other screening (subject to review) to a height 5′ – 6″ above the deck on the street side of the deck.