Guidelines for Changes, Repairs, and Requirements for Alley Lights:
Please use these guidelines for replacing or repairing one of these items on your property. Any time you alter or change the existing condition in any way, it requires a design review application. Provided that you make these changes for repair or maintenance, then a DRA is not required.
Garages facing an Alley shall have Garage and/or Fence mounted lights (alley lights). Lights in the alley shall be operated by a photocell so that they automatically turn on at dusk.
Alley Light Fixture Operation:
- Lights shall provide sufficient illumination such that persons or objects within the driveway and area of the alley directly opposite the driveway are visible to drivers or others in the alley.
- Lights shall not spill onto adjacent properties and fixtures shall not cause glare onto or otherwise disturb abutting homes.
- Lights in alley shall be operated by a photocell so that they automatically turn on at dusk with the following exceptions:
- Lights may be wired to switched circuits. Circuits shall be switched to the powered position to permit the lights to operate in periods of darkness.*
- The alley lights were typically installed on “unswitched” circuits controlled by photovoltaic switches and motion detectors to assure continuity of operation of the lights in periods of darkness. Many alley lights were installed on circuits controlled by a switch as development in the community progressed. These switched circuits shall be left in the on position to provide power to illuminate the lights.
Alley Light Fixture Color:
- Alley light fixtures shall be white, black, bronze, dark green or dark gray. Fixtures whose colors are metallic reflective colors shall NOT be used.
Alley Light Fixture Style:
The following stylistic conditions shall control:
- Fixtures shall be consistent with existing building mounted lights installed on the same home or residence.
- The fixture shall be simple in design.
- Fixtures of a traditional style such as bungalow, neo-classical, coach lamp are acceptable.
- If there is a question about the acceptability of a fixture a cut sheet or photograph shall be submitted to the King Farm Community Architect for comment.
Alley Light Fixture Replacement:
Existing fixtures may remain and be replaced with like, matching fixtures as required for maintenance. See the below for pre-approved fixtures.
The following shall assist Homeowners in the design and placement of alley lighting. The documents are intended to offer guidance; final location and design approval shall be obtained from the Community Architect.