Home Improvement Frequently Asked Questions:

In an effort to be more proactive in meeting the needs of the residents, Management has created a frequently asked questions and answers listing.
The goal is to provide convenient and readily accessible additional resources to residents to improve communication and provide support.

I submitted a design review application, how long does it take?

DRAs must be submitted at least two (2) weeks before the next ADT meeting in order to be reviewed and voted on during the meeting. The ADT meets on the 2nd Wednesday of every month.

Applications MUST be completed entirely to be reviewed.  

For simple projects, the Community Architect and the ADT may choose to review applications prior to the meeting and provide residents with a response fairly quickly.

I want to remove a tree on my lot, am I allowed to replace it with any tree?

NO. You must submit an application for any planting and/or removal of a live or dead tree. An approved tree listing for single-family and townhomes is currently in progress.

“No live trees with a diameter in excess of four inches, measured twelve inches above ground, or flowering trees in excess of two inches similarly measured may be removed from a Lot without application to and approval by the Community Architect and the King Farm Architectural Design Trust through a Design Review Application. “

I need to do exterior repairs on my home, is there a preferred vendor listing?

No, KFCA does not provide a preferred vendor list. However, if you join the King Farm Google Listserv, members of the community have put together a Vendor Recommendation List.

Please note: The community created vendor recommendation list is not endorsed nor recommended by KFCA.

I want to replace my roof, is there an approved shingle list?

YES. If you choose to replace your roof using the approved shingle list, you do not need to submit an application. Please click here to view the Pre-Approved Roof Shingle Colors.

Please note: if your contractor suggests a “similar” color to the approved colors, we HIGHLY suggest submitting a DRA to avoid having to redo your roof if you use the wrong color shingles. Also, if you are changing the color of your roof, you will need to submit a DRA. If your replacement is a “like for like” replacement, a DRA is not required.

What is a property plat and how can I get a copy of mine?

A property plat is a document provided at settlement. A plat is a map, drawn to scale, showing the divisions of a piece of land, to show the distance and bearing between section corners, sometimes including topographic or vegetation information.

  • The location of the proposed change must be drawn to scale on your property plat and submitted with your design review application (Use this as your chance to support your request).
  • If you cannot find your plat you may be able to retrieve a copy from either the City of Rockville or the surveyor/land planner for your lot.
  • The City of Rockville GIS Map tool can be used to obtain your plat number, which can then be used to locate an online version of your plat using PLATS.net
  • We ask for this information to verify the proposed work in relation to your lot.

Rockville GIS Tool: https://rockvillemd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=0941d7fa2dd94cacac49bce26fe58595

Search Montgomery County Land Survey, Subdivision, and Condominium Plats: http://www.plats.net/pages/plats.aspx?cid=MO