Guidelines for Lawn (Grass) Maintenance and Installation
Please use these guidelines for replacing or repairing one of these items on your property. Any time you alter or change the existing condition in any way, it requires a design review application. Provided that you make these changes for repair or maintenance, then a DRA is not required. Please refer to Equity Resolution No. 6 – Design Standards For Landscape Maintenance for more information.
- Lawns should be maintained in good order & repair.
- Seeded, watered and mowed as required.
- Corrective action must be implemented as soon as possible, in the event earth becomes exposed, to prevent soil erosion.
- Turf areas should be kept free of weeds.
- Turf should be kept to 10″ in height.
Reseeding and other repair measures including sod replacement can be done at any time and this does not require submitting a Design Review Application.
Missing Turf (Grass) & Removal:
For areas that have dying turf or where turf cannot grow due to lack of sunlight or drainage issues, some homeowners may want to remove the turf and install an alternative material.
**A Design Review Application is required for areas where more than 32 sq. ft. of turf is removed.
Sample Replacement Materials:
- Mulch (must be brown, black, or earth colored. Red is NOT permitted).
- River Rock/River Jack Stones
- Lava Rocks (must be brown, black, or earth colored. Red is NOT permitted).
- Mulch Colors: Brown, Black or Earth colored mulch is acceptable.
- Red mulch is NOT permitted!
- Mulch must be maintained through normal and routine seasonal measures.
- Mulch areas should be kept free of weeds.
- All mulch changes other than the approved types above should be submitted for review through the Design Review Application process.